Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Snow Delay Days and What Not to Say to a Pregnant Woman

Jared has had several snow days and snow delay days and we have been trying to be creative with our extra time. He wouldn't mind watching a few extra morning cartoons, but Kevin and I have put some serious restrictions on our TV consumption so Jared has had to come up with some other activities.

Today we had one of those snow delay days and Jared came up with a new way to spend the time. Before I go any farther I have to preference this with a pregnancy update. I started seeing my doctor when I was about 15 weeks along and he has been really great except for one awful habit he has. Every time I go in for a check up he comments on my weight! He always asks, while looking at my chart, "Did you gain this much with your previous pregnancy's?" Every time! One of these days I'm going to respond by jumping off the table and strangling him. Ok not really, but come on of all the things to say to a pregnant woman! Like I don't have a mirror or a scale at home. Like I need the reminder that I'm rounder and heavier than I've ever been! I always respond with a simple, "No." (thank you very much!)and the last time he asked me that question he answers back with, "Well you might want to watch it there." !!!! I love my doctor I really do and he is just trying to keep me healthy, but one of these days I might just snap. (And we all know that is not a pretty sight)

Anyway, taking the good old doctors advise I decided to add some exercise to my daily routine. I use to walk all the time while we lived in Virginia, but haven't gotten out much since we've been living in Maryland (it also happens to be winter and very cold). I picked up a walking workout DVD a while ago and have been walking 1-2 miles everyday (in place. i know lame, but hey at least it is something) Anyway to the point. This morning Jared was watching me and decided to join in. He was laughing the whole time and loved it. When the two miles were up he was asking for more. At one point the instructor mentions sweating and Jared scoffs at her saying, "I'm not even sweating one bit. This is easy!" I thought it was cute. Anna joined in every once in a while, but she doesn't have the patience for it. To be honest I don't either. I would much rather be outside.


9 comments:

Boyce said...

Wow....how cute that he wants to be like his mommy and exercise...and I'm sorry about the doc...I can only imagine what that would be like!

Tiana said...

Tiffany you are a beauty queen and you should just kick your doctor in the teeth next time he says that....

Rinez said...

Back in my day... the docs did the same thing and I dreaded every appointment. Keep on walkin' and doin' and once that baby gets here, you'll lose the weight, no doubt! Happy snow!

Becky said...

That's so funny because we have a rule at our house that when I'm working out, no one is allowed to sit on the couch and watch. If they're going to be in the room they have to workout WITH me.

THE PARKS: said...

Tiff, don't worry about your weight. As long as your blood pressure, heart rate, and baby are fine your fine. You don't always gain the same amount of weight with each child. Heck, I gained close to 60 lbs with Rafe. Sometimes you just have more amniotic fluid which in return makes you bigger. I have a friend that is very active and fit and she gained 96 lbs with one of her pregnancies. So just brush it off. I bet you're probably not even big. I've seen you 8 months prego and you looked maybe 6 months. If you need me to send you pics of me when I was prego w/Rafe to help you feel better, you just let me know.

Sunshine Promises said...

Let me guess . . . "walk power walk"? I got that with my 2nd pregnancy and used it during the winter months (in fact, I should use it again NOW . . . thanks for the inspiration!).

I'm with you on the pregnancy weight topic. My husband, who has gained MAYBE 3 pounds in our marriage (and freaks out when he weighs more than 170) is NOT allowed to stand by when I weigh in at my appointments. He doesn't understand my insecurity (he thinks I look darling pregnant . . . BAH!). But at times (like now) when I think I have officially reached the ugliest phase of my life, I just have to remember the miracle of having a baby (which I KNOW you understand) and the magic of holding your own child in your arms. And then I can put on my frumpy maternity clothes another day.

Loves to you, girl! You can do it!

Jordan and Nikki Brown said...

Has that doctor never lived with a pregnant woman? How frustrating, so sorry! However, you've always been healthy, so don't worry. I love how Jared & Anna join you...those are some of my favorite playtime activities with Warren!

Shellie said...

I would be so ticked at my doctor! I keep waiting for my OB to say something to me about my weight, but so far it hasn't happened... I guess she knows better, but I should be exercising, too! Maybe I'll pick up one of those walking dvd's... :)

Amanda P. said...

Awww Tiff- Don't let him make you feel bad about the weight. It'll come off.
I love round healthy pregnant women. :)-