Monday, May 19, 2008

Count Down Continues-The Buena Vista Wave

I know I have been slacking on my post and I apologize. There have been a few "friendly" reminders so here I continue...
The Buena Vista wave has two references. One I will not miss because it has to do with BV's first residents the all intrusive gnat. If you happen to drive by and see two people talking out side waving their hands back and forth at each other be rest assured they are not having an argument or talking in sign language. You have just witnessed the ever famous BV wave. Come May through September the gnats are out in full force and the only way to endure being outside is to wave your hands continuously across your face. This particular wave I will not miss, however the other kind I will miss.
If you happen to drive through Buena Vista and the people walking down the street or driving the opposite direction wave at you don't think your lights are off or you have a flat tire or that they are crazy...it is just Southern hospitality. Buena Vistans drive their cars with both hands on the top of the steering wheel so that when they pass another car or dive past someone walking on the street they can lift one hand and offer a friendly hello. It doesn't matter if they know the person they offer salutations to. It doesn't even matter if they like the person or not it is simply common courtesy to acknowledge the people that cross your path.
I remember visiting California about a year ago and my family went on an evening walk around the neighborhood. We passed several people on our walk and without realizing it I had waved or said, "good ev'nin'" (yes with a southern accent). Someone finally told me to stop acknowledging strangers because they either are crazy or think I'm crazy. I guess I had never really thought about it before.
I love that the people in Buena Vista take the time to acknowledge each other. It builds community spirit and ownership. So if you happen to drive past a blue Saturn and the driver waves don't worry you don't have a flat it is just that crazy Buena Vistan Tiffany Parks saying hello.

2 comments:

katie said...

That is so true and it is soooo sad that we can't do that every and anywhere that we live. When I was down in Texas, they did the same thing!
What is wrong with the north-western part of our country?

Keep the posts coming and such a great idea/journal entry!

Jesse Edwards said...

oh my gosh, I totally forgot about that!!!! that totally made me laugh!